The Cerddorion Vocal Ensemble is pleased to announce its second annual Emerging Composers Competition, designed to foster the creation and performance of new works for mixed chorus.
Works must be:
- Scored for SATB a cappella (some divisi acceptable); or
- Scored for SATB and string quartet; or
- Scored for SATB and solo violin, viola or cello, or any combination of these instruments
- Approximately 3-5 minutes in length
- Unpublished and unperformed
- Submission of midi realizations is encouraged, but not required.
Works will be premiered in March 2014 as part of a program entitled Language of the Birds, featuring a piece by the same title for choir and string quartet by Veronika Krausas, as well as Janequin’s Chant des Oiseaux. Some preference may be given to pieces that fit this theme.
Composers should be in the early stages of their professional careers, without substantial publishing credit, national awards or commissions. There is no age limit.
Panel of Judges
James John, Artistic Director, Cerddorion Vocal Ensemble
Bruce Saylor, Composition Faculty, Aaron Copland School of Music, Queens College-CUNY
Veronika Krausas, Composition Faculty, Thornton School of Music, University of Southern California
1st Prize – $250 and performance, archival recording
2nd Prize – performance and archival recording
The judges reserve the right not to award a prize
- E-mail scores (in PDF format), along with any accompanying midi files, directly to James John (email@example.com).
- Scores must be submitted anonymously, with no identifying marks (name and contact information should appear on the application form only).
- Send application form and fee (check or money order payable to “Cerddorion Vocal Ensemble”) to the following address: Cerddorion NYC, Inc., P.O. Box 946, Village Station, New York, NY 10014, Attn: Emerging Composers Competition.
- Application fees may be submitted via PayPal by clicking the “Donate” link on Cerddorion’s website.
- Composers may submit more than one work, but a separate application form must be completed for each.
- Style/Difficulty level: view Cerddorion’s website (www.cerddorion.org) to get a sense of the group’s recent programming and repertoire.
Application Deadline: November 18th, 2013.
Winner(s) will be notified by January 1st, 2014.
Performances will take place in Brooklyn and Manhattan in March 2014. Composers are invited and encouraged to attend the performances but we cannot provide funds for travel or accommodations.
Application Fee: $25