Cerddorion Vocal Ensemble
Emerging Composers Competition
The Cerddorion Vocal Ensemble is pleased to announce its fifth annual Emerging Composers Competition, designed to foster the creation and performance of new works for mixed chorus.
Works must be:
- Scored for SATB a cappella (some divisi acceptable)
- Approximately 3-5 minutes in length
- Texts should be sacred (psalm settings are encouraged, but not required)
- Unpublished and unperformed
- Submission of midi realizations is encouraged, but not required.
Works will be premiered in June 2017 as part of a program of sacred music entitled Reverent Cadence and Subtle Psalm.
Composers should be in the early stages of their professional careers, without substantial publishing credit, national awards or commissions. There is no age limit.
Panel of Judges
1st Prize – $300 and performance, archival recording
2nd Prize – performance and archival recording
The judges reserve the right not to award a prize.
2015: Craig Bakalian (1st prize), Francisco José Carbonell (2nd prize), Brian Mountford (honorable mention; no performance)
2014: Steven Serpa (1st prize), Joshua Fishbein and Theo Popov (tie for 2nd prize)
2013: Dominick DiOrio (1st prize; no other prizes awarded)
- E-mail scores (in PDF format), along with any accompanying midi files, directly to James John (email@example.com).
- Scores must be submitted anonymously, with no identifying marks (name and contact information should appear on the application form only).
- Send application form and fee (check or money order payable to “Cerddorion Vocal Ensemble”) to the following address: Cerddorion NYC, Inc.,
P.O. Box 946,
Village Station, New York, NY 10014, Attn: Emerging Composers Competition.
- Application fees may be submitted via PayPal by clicking the “Donate” link on Cerddorion’s website.
- Composers may submit more than one work, but a separate application form must be completed for each.
- Style/Difficulty level: view Cerddorion’s website (www.cerddorion.org) to get a sense of the group’s recent programming and repertoire.
Application Deadline: February 1st, 2017.
Winner(s) will be notified by March 15th, 2017.
Performances will take place in Brooklyn and Manhattan in June 2017. Composers are invited and encouraged to attend the performances but we cannot provide funds for travel or accommodations.
Application Fee: $25