Nurturing choral music as a living, evolving art is central to Cerddorion’s mission. In 2013 we launched our annual Emerging Composers Competition to foster the creation and performance of new works for mixed chorus.
Our eighth annual Emerging Composers Competition is being judged right now! The next competition will open in Fall 2020.
Submission Guidelines 2019-20
1. Works must be:
– Scored for SATB a cappella (some divisi acceptable)
– Approximately 3-5 minutes in length
– Unpublished and unperformed
2. The winning compositions will be premiered next season as part of a program featuring music composed by and about women, in honor of the centennial of the 19th Amendment (recognizing women’s right to vote). Although there are no thematic restrictions on the competition, entries related to this theme are encouraged.
3. Composers may submit more than one work, but must complete a separate entry form and fee for each.
4. Submission of MIDI realizations is encouraged, but not required.
Visit www.cerddorion.org/ensemble/past-performances to get a sense of the styles and level of difficulty of Cerddorion’s repertoire.
Composers should be in the early stages of their professional careers, without substantial publishing credit, national awards, or commissions. There is no age limit. Beginning in 2020-21, composers who have won a prize from Cerddorion in prior competitions will be ineligible.
Panel of Judges 2019-20
1st Prize – $500 plus performance and archival live recording
2nd Prize – performance and archival live recording
The judges reserve the right not to award a prize.
2013: Dominick DiOrio (1st prize; no other prizes awarded)