Nurturing choral music as a living, evolving art is central to Cerddorion’s mission. In 2012 we launched our annual Emerging Composers Competition to foster the creation and performance of new works for mixed chorus.
1. Works must be:
- Scored for SATB a cappella (some divisi acceptable)
- Approximately 3-5 minutes in length
- Unpublished and unperformed
2. The winning compositions will be premiered in Spring 2019 as part of a program titled Timeless Muse, featuring works from the past paired with later compositions they inspired. Entries related to this theme are preferred, but not required.
3. Composers may submit more than one work, but a separate entry form and fee must be completed for each.
4. Submission of MIDI realizations is encouraged, but not required.
Visit our Past Performances page to get a sense of the styles and level of difficulty of Cerddorion’s repertoire.
Composers should be in the early stages of their professional careers, without substantial publishing credit, national awards, or commissions. There is no age limit.
1st Prize – $300 plus performance on our May/June 2019 program and archival live recording
2nd Prize – Performance on our May/June 2019 program and archival live recording
The judges reserve the right not to award a prize.
2013: Dominick DiOrio (1st prize; no other prizes awarded)
Application Deadline: February 1, 2019.
Winner(s) will be notified by March 15th, 2019.
Performances will take place in Brooklyn on May 31, 2019, and in Manhattan on June 2, 2019. Composers are invited and encouraged to attend the performances, but we cannot provide funds for travel or accommodations.
Application Fee: $25