Nurturing choral music as a living, evolving art is central to Cerddorion’s mission. We are pleased to announce our sixth annual Emerging Composers Competition, designed to foster the creation and performance of new works for mixed chorus.
Click here to download a PDF of the Application Form
Works must be:
- Scored for SATB a cappella (some divisi acceptable)
- Approximately 3-5 minutes in length
- Unpublished and unperformed
- Submission of midi realizations is encouraged, but not required.
The winning composition will be premiered in June 2018 as part of a program titled To Be Sung On The Water. Texts that relate to this theme are preferred, but not required.
Composers should be in the early stages of their professional careers, without substantial publishing credit, national awards, or commissions. There is no age limit.
Panel of Judges
James John, Artistic Director, Cerddorion
1st Prize – $300 plus performance and archival live recording
2nd Prize – performance and archival live recording
The judges reserve the right not to award a prize.
2013: Dominick DiOrio (1st prize; no other prizes awarded)
- E-mail scores (in PDF format), along with any accompanying midi files, directly to James John (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Scores must be submitted anonymously, with no identifying marks (name and contact information should appear on the application form only).
- Send application form and fee (check or money order payable to “Cerddorion NYC, Inc.”) to the following address:
Cerddorion Vocal Ensemble – Attn: Emerging Composers Competition
P.O. Box 946, Village Station
New York, NY 10014-0946
- Application fees may be submitted via PayPal by clicking the “Donate” link on Cerddorion’s website.
- Composers may submit more than one work, but a separate application form must be completed for each.
- Style/Difficulty level: Visit www.cerddorion.org to get a sense of the group’s recent programming and repertoire.
Application Deadline: February 15, 2018.
Winner(s) will be notified by March 15th, 2018.
Performances will take place in Brooklyn and Manhattan in June 2018. Composers are invited and encouraged to attend the performances, but we cannot provide funds for travel or accommodations.
Application Fee: $25